FASHION, FOOD, EVENTS & TRAVEL

Wednesday 26 February 2014

If you live in the UK, you'll know that from the end of December to mid-February our fair isle was battered by some of the worst storms we've seen in years. I'm lucky enough to call a small seaside resort in Dorset my home, but as a coastal town we received our fair share of stormy weather. Luckily, our bay is east facing, so we didn't receive the brunt of the storms, unlike a lot of towns near us and particularly the towns in Cornwall and Devon.


When I was last at home, my Dad and I took an afternoon stroll to the end of the beach and back to check out some of the destruction caused by Hurricane Brenda (yes, that's my unofficial name for the storm). During the winter months, many locals and holiday makers take down their wooden beach huts, but a few remain up all year round meaning they got little beat up by the storms. A lot of them constantly have peeling paint and brown smudges where rain water has made the rusty nails leave streaks in the wood, but I think it's the way beach huts should look... like they're just about to fall down. Of course, we've got our fair share of luxury huts too (ones you could practically live in) but if it doesn't smell like wetsuits, isn't covered in cold, wet sand and doesn't have a gas lit whistling kettle then I'm not really that interested.



This poor little soldier unfortunately has a bit more damage then just a bit of smacking around from the wind and sea. Over the past year we've had a lot of landslides on the cliffs and seeing as the north end of our bay is under cliffs it's not great for the people with beach huts underneath. Unluckily for the owners of this hut, the bad weather had caused another landslide, which fell behind the hut. The whole back wall of the hut had been smashed in by the cliff behind it, causing the front of it to completely distort out of shape. The diagnosis isn't great, I'm not sure this one's going to make it.












I love the juxtaposition of bright summary colours of the huts against the rustic 'about-to-fall-down' feel they all have. I'd have photographs of them all hanging up in my house if I could.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Nice to meet you...

My photo
The Sunny South, UK, United Kingdom
Welcome to the beach of my mind. All enquiries welcome... elizabettyspaghettiblog@gmail.com
Part of the next blogger network

Search This Blog